Wednesday, April 14, 2010

More Gan Visits

So nobody responded to my cry for challah recipes. Not a one of you. So either a) nobody is reading my blog b) you are reading but you are lazy and don't make your own challah-I am not judging-I was also lazy which is why I don't have a recipe c) you make your own challah and your recipe is so amazing so you don't want to share or d) you aren't so lazy and make your own challah but you are a little tired for all the baking that you couldn't muster the strength to send me the recipe. So I am trying again. Please. Send me your challah recipes!
OK, pathetic begging over time for the daily rundown.
This morning was an exciting one. After Josh got Danya and Jordy to school and returned from shul we loaded Nadav into the stroller and took a walk. We were going to check out a gan. You may recall a while back we did the same thing and we registered Nadav for Gan starting in the fall. This trip was similar however this was to begin immediately and finish off the year. That's right-we found someone willing to take crazy baby. We realized a few months ago that Nadav was getting crazy and needed something more than hanging out at home. We attempted to find him a place that would take him a few days a week but to no avail. Then yesterday I saw an email advertising a gan that has spots available for next year. I figured I should give it a try and see if they have room. So I called last night and the gannenet told me that they have a spot open now however it works out to cost the same if we send him 6 days a week than 2 days a week. Those were the magic words....we were on board. So we walked the block and a half this morning and arrived at the gan. Nadav happily played outside with the kids and one of the gannanot while Josh and I got the tour and the run down. When she asked how soon we wanted to start Josh looked at his watch and responded that 10:30 would be good. Little did she know he wasn't joking. So we agreed that we would see her tomorrow and headed home with visions of free time dancing in our heads. We then headed to Kiryat Sefer to pick up some Cheerios. While I was paying for the groceries Josh took Nadav outside to the play ground. As I approached I saw a man taking to Josh and then run off. I asked Josh who his friend was and he informed me that the man asked Josh if he could watch his 2 kids-I would say about 2 years old-for 6 minutes he just had to run and get something from his wife. Josh didn't know what to do so he agreed. I was convinced that the man was never going to return and we were going to have to find a gan for 2 more kids but 5 minutes later the man returned. Crazy right? Anyhow we headed home and after giving him lunch put Nadav in his crib. We were pleasantly surprised when he actually fell asleep as he hasn't napped in his crib the past few days. Danya arrived home with 2 friends to play. After getting them something to eat I went out to pick up Jordy. Later Danya and co. went to dance class. For dinner I had ordered pizza from a new pizza place on the Yishuv. People have been RAVING about how good the pizza was so we figured we had to try it. We were told to pick it up at 6:15 so I was surprised when it took Josh a half hour to pick up a pizza 5 minutes away. Turns out they lost our order and had to make the pizza while he waited. Apparently they were apologetic and they gave us the cheesy pretzel we had ordered for free. I didn't eat it but the kids liked it and Josh said it was good. We wont hold the error against them as they just opened. We hope they will be successful and that our small community can support them. After dinner I got the kids into bed. Lunches made, bags ready for school, blog typed. Time for work.

5 comments:

Gila said...

weren't you asking for a non-breadmachine recipe? All I've made is with a machine, so if you like that one I can email you!

Gila said...

Also, crazy stranger story - watching a stranger's kid and hoping they return- CRAZY!

אנט פרידמן said...

Hi Arica,

I choose D! But I walked all the way to the kitchen to get you our recipe! My 16 year old daughter makes this challah every week and it ALWAYS comes out delicious!

2 cups warm water
5 tsps yeast
2 Tbsp sugar

Mix the above and wait until yeast starts to bubble.

Add:

2 eggs
2/3 cup sugar
3 tsp salt
100 grams melted margarine (6 TBSP)

Stir in 1 kilo of flour (slowly) with a fork - 1 cup at a time. Stir until it's too hard, then knead dough w/hands. Cover w/ 2 towels and let rise for 2-3 hours. Bake @350 for 20-25 minutes.

Betayavon!

אנט פרידמן said...

Let me know if you need to know what kind of yeast we use - too lazy to get up again for that :-)

אנט פרידמן said...

Me again! Arica, can you share your spaghetti squash recipe with me if you have one? Thanks!